17 August 2017

Other delicacies


The market at Kompong Thom was filled with interesting food items. These fried spiders are a specialty of the region and considered a real delicacy.


Cambodians first began eating insects under the Khmer Rouge rule. Rice and other food was severely rationed, so many people suffered from starvation and malnourishment. For this reason, the Cambodian people looked elsewhere for sources of food; insects became a natural choice. They are abundant and the supply couldn't be cut off by the leaders.


Many Cambodians still enjoy these treats today. Though many tourists do like to partake, I didn't! Photos taken in December 2016.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I wouldn't either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm known to eat anything, so I would give it all a try.
    Those spiders are very large. I'd rather see them on a plate, than alive.

    I've seen many of your comments around, and thought I would stop by and take a look.
    I really like what I see so far, very interesting and nice photos. I'm now a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'm ready to give these a try. Just looking at them and considering what they're like alive - so many of them! so big! - is creepy. It just adds to a sense of horror of the Khmer Rouge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...popular, but not with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I would have passed on those too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, really interesting how the local culture turned to insects as a food source! I'm not sure I could get myself to eat insects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if we were desperate enough, we probably would.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...