24 July 2010

Reflecting pool


Oklahoma City suffered a terrible tragedy in April 1995. The Alfred P. Murrah federal building in downtown OKC was bombed. 168 Oklahomans lost their lives that day, including many children who attended the daycare center for federal employees which was on the ground floor of this building.

A very touching memorial has been erected to honor those who lost their lives that day. There is a chair for each victim and a shallow reflecting pool built from the granite that was left over after the blast. It's a good place for reflections of many kinds.

Please visit Newton Area Photo to see other reflections from around the world. Photo taken in May 2006.

7 comments:

  1. Love the composition. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute. I remember that day ... a friend of mine lost his daughter to the blast.

    Thank you for sharing this, I knew there was a memorial, but this is the first picture I've seen of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful and peaceful place to memorize such a horrific tragedy. I never knew there were chairs for each victim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful reflection shot - and a particularly poignant memorial. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photo, Halcyon! Wow! I didn't even know this memorial existed, so thank you!

    By the way, after we moved to Ocala 5 1/2 years ago, I played very little golf (maybe 3 times). So, it took me awhile to get back into it.

    The Stone Creek course is very nice, not terribly difficult, but challenging enough - a par 72. A couple of days ago I managed a 40 on the front (damn double-bogey on the ninth killed me). A 46 on the back, which wasn't very good, but it's the first time I've shot 86 in a long time. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I visited this site. It was very, very moving. Seeing those empty chairs brought me to tears. This is a gorgeous shot.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...